Friday, April 22, 2005

Another Time(s), Another Place

A Place in Times

Life as I knew it changed in February 2005. It happened when I visited New York City for the first time. It was like visiting another world. I didn't realize I had been so isolated and insulated from the likes of New York. It was a culture shock of sorts, seeing and visiting places only "as seen on tv" After taking a bus and the subway from The Bronx, I spent several hours walking the streets of lower Manhattan and Times Square. I visited many noted sights including Ground Zero, where the Twin Towers used to be. I think the thing that stood out the most is the sheer numbers of cosmopolitan peoples, and the fact that nearly everything seems scrunched up almost on top of itself; housing, businesses, cars, people, subways. Space is a precious commodity in New York City. Nice visit. But I'll take my chances in the outland.